NOTE: All times are subject to change.
- April 16, 2013
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pmNSSTA Board of Directors MeetingRoom: Frank Capra A
- April 17, 2013
- 8:00 am - 10:00 amMarketing Committee MeetingRoom: Fiesta 3
- 8:00 am - 10:00 amLegs & Regs Committee MeetingRoom: Fiesta 4
- 8:00 am - 10:00 amEducation Committee MeetingRoom: Fiesta 14
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pmGovernment Benefits Committee MeetingRoom: Fiesta 3
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pmCSSC Committee MeetingRoom: Fiesta 4
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pmNSSTA PAC Board of Directors MeetingRoom: Hospitality Suite
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pmLegal Committee Meeting Room: Fiesta 14
- 11:00 am - 3:00 pmRegistration & Information Desk OpenLocation TBD
- 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm4-Hour Annuity SessionInstructor: Karen Meyers, Little Meyers & Associates
Room: Fiesta 3
- 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm2nd Annual Bill Tocchi Memorial Golf TournamentLa Quinta Mountain Golf Course
- 6:30 pm - 8:00 pmCSSC Program Certificate Ceremony & Welcome ReceptionLocation: Main Lawn
Registration will be open during this reception.
- 10:00 pm - 11:59 pmNSSTA Hospitality SuiteRoom TBD
- April 18, 2013
- 7:00 am - 3:30 pmRegistration & Information Desk OpenLocation TBD
- 7:00 am - 8:00 amContinental BreakfastLocation: Fiesta Veranda
- 8:00 am - 9:15 amNSSTA Business MeetingClosed to NSSTA Members Only
Please see the Business Meeting Agenda for details.
Location: Fiesta 4,5,6
- 9:15 am - 9:20 amWelcome & Opening RemarksEric Vaughn, NSSTA Executive Director
NSSTA's 2013 Annual Conference kicks off with a welcome to conference attendees from NSSTA Executive Director Eric Vaughn.
- 9:20 am - 10:00 amInsurance Insolvencies Involving StructuresModerator: Randy Dyer, Ringler Associates
Speakers: Len Blonder, EPS Settlements
John McCulloch, Advanced Marketing for EPS Settlements Group/IFS
Craig Ulman, Hogan Lovells
The Chairs of the NSSTA Board’s ELNY and Reliance working groups together with NSSTA counsel will report on the ELNY and Reliance liquidations and NSSTA’s role in mitigating resulting harm to the industry.
- 10:00 am - 10:15 amStructured Settlements Industry Overview -The Facts & The FiguresSpeaker: Melissa Evola, President of SFA
For nearly a decade, Melissa has been compiling and analyzing industry statistics covering qualified and non-qualified production, average case size, and industry trends. Melissa will share her perspectives on industry products, digging beyond the quarterly numbers in order to explain the changing marketplace for structured annuities and how it is shaping tomorrow’s industry.
- 10:15 am - 10:30 amBreak
- 10:30 am - 11:00 amKeynote SpeakerDavid North, President & CEO of Sedgwick CMS
Sedgwick CMS Adds Structured Settlements to it’s Impressive Portfolio of Client and Professional Services
Sedgwick Claims Management Service is the leading North American provider of innovative, technology-enabled and cost-effective claims, productivity, managed care and risk consulting services. Sedgwick has over 10,000 employees located in 200 offices throughout the U.S. and Canada who specialize in 1) worker’s compensation claims management; 2) disability and Family Medical Leave Act compliance; 3)managed care; 4) general, automobile and professional liability; 5) warranty and credit card claims services; 6) Medicare compliance solutions and 7) structured settlements.
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm"NSSTA Live" Tuning In To Structured SettlementsSpeakers: Larry Cohen, Ringler Radio
Scott Drake, Legal Broadcast Network
The way in which people gather news and information has changed more in the past decade than at any time since the days of Gutenberg. How does this impact structured settlement professionals? Two of the industry’s foremost experts in 21st century communication will explain how changing media demands and the growth of the internet are affecting the structured settlements industry.
- 12:00 pm - 12:30 pmKeynote SpeakerDirk Kempthorne, President & CEO of The American Council of Life Insurers
The heart of the structured settlement industry is the funding annuity, but what protects that annuity and what do claimants (and their families) need to know about these protections? Former Senator and Governor Dirk Kempthorne, who has spent more than two decades in public service, will explain what you need to know about the financial security surrounding today’s annuities.
- 12:30 pm - 1:30 pmLunchNSSTA Board Service, President & Leadership Award Ceremony
Award Presenters: John Machir, NSSTA President
Randy Dyer, Past NSSTA President
Location: Main Lawn
- 1:30 pm - 2:30 pmGetting To The "Yes" In MediationsModerator: Len Blonder, EPS Settlements
Speakers: Jay Horton, Esq.
Janet Fields, Esq.
Mediators have a crucial role in moving cases toward settlement, so how can you increase the odds that a mediator recommends a structured settlement? Two nationally recognized mediators will explain what they want and expect from structure consultants. Moderating the session will be two-time NSSTA President and current Board member Len Blonder.
- 2:30 pm - 3:30 pmLegislative Update & Political ReportSpeakers: Eric Vaughn, NSSTA Director of Government Relations
Louis Masry, NSSTA PAC Chair, Millenium Settlements
This session will provide a comprehensive update covering a full range of federal legislative policy initiatives and proposals introduced to Congress with a direct impact on the structured settlement industry. This session will also examine the critical impact that politics and political institutions in Washington, DC, have on the laws, rules, and regulations that govern the structured settlements industry.
- 3:30 pm - 4:30 pmP&C Company Panel DiscussionSpeakers: Issy Acevedo, AIG
Allan Hull, Fireman's Fund Insurance
Structures have so much to offer the busy claims professional, so why don’t more of them respond? P&C company leaders will discuss how to educate claim professionals more effectively while helping them recognize the benefits of structures and the guidance received from an experienced structured settlements consultant. They will also offer their direct experience, both good and bad, that they have had working with structure professionals.
- 4:30 pm - 5:30 pmSpecial Needs Trusts & TrustsSpeakers: Jay Sangerman Esq., Jay J. Sangerman LLP.
Ben Malsch, Midland Sates Bank
The Affordable Care Act (“Obama-care”) is rapidly changing the way that tens of millions pay for healthcare. Since structures are primarily designed to fund future healthcare needs, structure professionals need to be aware of the legal changes. Join trust experts Jay Sangerman, Esq., and Ben Malsch as they explain the impact these legal changes have on the industry.
- 5:30 pm - 6:30 pmNSSTA PAC Board Cocktail ReceptionLocation: Hospitality Suite, Room TBD
Open only to NSSTA PAC contributors and 50/50 raffle participants
- 6:30 pm - 8:00 pmReceptionLocation: La Casa Complex
- 10:00 pm - 11:59 pmNSSTA Hospitality SuiteRoom TBD
- April 19, 2013
- 6:30 am - 8:00 amContinental BreakfastLocation: Fiesta Veranda
- 8:00 am - 8:45 am113th Congress & Tax ReformSpeaker: Congressman Devin Nunes (R-CA)
Devin Nunes has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2003. He currently represents California's 22nd congressional district which is located in the San Joaquin Valley and includes portions of Tulare and Fresno Counties. Congressman Nunes has been a member of the Veterans Affairs committee, House Ways and Means Committee.
- 8:45 am - 9:30 amVirtual Structured Settlements & The E-WorkerSpeakers: Kathy Martin, AIG
Brian Smith, American General
Don Engels, Galaher Settlements
Tom Kievet, Liberty Mutual
This session will focus on the changing dynamics of the structured settlement industry workplace and how technology is playing the leading role.
- 9:30 am - 10:30 amNSSTA Legal Committee Updates Of The IndustryModerator: Jim Ebel, Galaher Settlements
Speakers: Steve Harris, Drinker Biddle & Reath
Cathy Collins, John Hancock
Tom Ronce, Pacific life
Legal Committee Co-Chairs will lead a panel discussion on developments in the law, including recent judicial decisions concerning broker duties, tax treatment of compensation for emotional distress claims, and current legal issues.
- 10:30 am - 11:30 amStructured Settlement Service Metric SurveyModerator: Mike Kelly, SFA
Speakers: Trish Fairhurst, Liberty Mutual
Mary Hawkins, Pacific Life
NSSTA has launched its first annual Structured Settlement Service Metric Survey, giving NSSTA Annuity Provider Members access to key performance indicators to help measure, monitor, and assess their operations and service delivery. Hear first hand from the woman behind the entire project, Trish Fairhurst as she discusses the opportunities this survey presents to the NSSTA membership and industry as a whole.
- 11:30 am - 11:45 amAnnouncement of Board Election Results
- 11:45 am - 11:45 amAdjourn
- April 16, 2013